Monday, October 28, 2013

The Library

** Having a hard time writing today - so this one is short.

Hey - I just saw you at school and now I see you here  (insert awkward giggles).

That was the brief exchange I witnessed between two teen girls as they passed each other leaving the library with their moms.

That's right - I still go to the library.  Call it cheap, call it nostalgic, but I love the experience of walking through the front doors of the library and having the book smell envelopes me.  I love looking up books - writing down the 80 digit code just to locate one book.  I love that I see grandmas sitting down with their grandchildren reading them books.  

The quietness that lives inside of the library - peaceful yet deafening.  Is that student here to research for a paper?  Why is that old man reading the newspaper at the library?  Does that mom really think she will get all three of her kids to behave in here?  For me walking into the library is taking a step into another world - when the doors close behind me - so does the outside.  I get lost in the shelves of the books.  I am calmed by the whispering of the librarian. 

I don't think the library is a place where too many people frequent anymore - but next time you're looking to step outside of your world - step into that world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy my madness :)