Saturday, January 13, 2018

Not A Day....

Tomorrow marks my two year anniversary of my Open Heart Surgery.  Two years!  Soo much has happened in that time.  I no longer work full time, Matt is at a different job, Grace will be heading into kindergarten in the fall, and lastly, we welcomed another beautiful girl into our family this October.  For most people, my surgery is in the past - it's over with, my scar is barely noticeable and I am healthy.  For me, my surgery is with me everyday and not a day goes by that I am not reminded of how my life has changed 2+ years ago.

  • Not a day goes by that I don't look or touch at my scar.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't think about the emotional toll I underwent from the minute I was diagnosed with my Congenital Heart Defect. 
  • Not a day goes by that I don't think of all the wonderful and supportive texts, cards, gifts and messages I received from all my friends and family.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't think about the Journal I had written for Grace with life lessons so she could read it later on in life, just in case I wasn't around.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't think about those that have lost their lives to CHD, or are fighting everyday to make it to the next day.
  • Not a day goes by that am I not grateful to all those highly trained and caring doctors and nurses that took care of me, and still take care of me.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't smile because the memories of Matt, My dad and mom sharing some serious laughs in the hospital during my recovery. 
  • Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of the euphoria high I felt after my surgery and during my recovery.    
  • Not a day goes by that I am conflicted with how I should feel about this ordeal.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't try to better myself physically, emotionally and mentally.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't think about how I can help others that have been in my shoes.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't think about how many others that have been in my shoes have helped me.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't question my existence.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't confirm the reason for my existence.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't soak up the warmth of the sun.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't embrace beauty of nature. 
  • Not a day goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars for my parents.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't  kiss my husband and tell him I love him.
  • Not a day goes by that I don't hug and kiss my girls and feel extremely honored that they are mine.
Almost two years ago, I laid heartbeat less on an operating table....and Not a day goes by that I don't listen to the "thump thump thump" in my chest and  I stop what I am doing, take a deep breath and just be.

My favorite pic of my post operative state

To revisit my OHS story... read on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy my madness :)