Friday, September 13, 2013

Man's Best Friend

I love all kinds of animals -- well maybe not all, I could do without certain reptiles, ferrets, and various rodents.  Let me rephrase - I love dogs (and certain cats are cool too).  But I'm a dog person. 
 
I have two Chihuahuas, Petie and Peep (aka -The Boys)
Petie and Peep

I grew up in a family that loved dogs - and when I first moved down to Austin I co-owned a dog walking/pet sitting business with my sister.

I cry hysterically when I see the ASPCA commercial - you know the one with Sarah McLachlan signing "Angel." - I won't link the video because it upsets me too much.

But I especially love how intuitive dogs can be.  How they give you kisses when they know you are sad or how they cower when they know they have done something wrong.  The unconditional love they share. 

I'm not going to lie when I found out I was pregnant - I was nervous about how the "boys" would react to the baby.  They HATE children.  So how would we juggle two dogs and a baby under one roof ?  Throughout my pregnancy I noticed a difference in Petie and Peep.  They were softer with me - Petie would crawl up and snuggle on my belly.  It seemed like they were sharing the excitement of the arrival of our newest family member. The week of my due date I cried everyday- apologizing to Petie and Peep on how I hope they wouldn't hate their new life.  I felt so guilty for changing things on them.  I knew my attention would be elsewhere - and when Petie and Peep would stare at me with their puppy dog eyes I would melt.

When we arrived home from the hospital with Grace - I had envisioned them growling or barking every time she cried.  I'm glad I was wrong.  Almost 8 months later - Grace, Petie and Peep get along just fine.  There are times I still get nervous of how they will  react-especially when she starts crawling- but they have never shown signs of aggression towards her.  They lick her hands and feet, they flank her stroller when we go for walks and ever since Grace started eating solids - they boys camp out under her highchair.  I swear she drops her food on purpose so the boys could have a treat.

I love my little yappers






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy my madness :)