Monday, September 16, 2013

Hindsight

Watching the baby monitor while Grace sleeps for the night - pretty much the only time I get to write is while she is sleeping.  It was the beginning of the work week for most but I got to savor one more day home with my girl.  Although there are weeks when going to work on a Monday doesn't seem like a bad gig - depends on her mood!
It is still disgustingly hot and humid here in Austin.  Yes - mid September and still close to 100 degrees.  This is when you see the heat wearing everyone thin.  We've dealt with the heat for 4 straight months now and want a change of pace.  Everything about fall is in air except the air.

We had fun this weekend.

Saturday morning Grace and I went on and adventure to meet up with some new friends.  I reached out to them from an online new moms meet up group.  It felt so weird to ask a stranger to meet me at a strange place with our kids in tow.  But it was a success.  Grace made two new friends  - and hopefully so did I.  Side bar - I now use Grace like a guy would use a puppy at a dog park.  She is my wing man.  We then laid low the rest of the day - Grace went grocery shopping with Matt ( yes, it is adorable!)

It was later in the afternoon that I got a text from one of my friends that I work with.  She has a darling little girl a month younger than Grace.  They have had play dates before and I like to imagine them holding hands walking into kindergarten together.  We met up for good conversation and a delicious margarita -  I love those impromptu hang outs.  They are the breath of fresh air.

Sunday morning was lazy.  We eased our way into the day.  I took Grace to her first birthday party.  It was my friends son's third birthday.  It was an adorable birthday and all the kids were running around having fun.  There was this one woman there with a girl that was 20 months old - and it transported me to a year from now, Grace will be running around, climbing around in a year from now.  It made me excited - but then I felt my heart ache.

After the birthday party - Matt, Grace and I went to Red's Porch (a local bar) - always a great place to bring a baby.  We went to meet up with an old friend of mine from NY.  Well -  He was my first boyfriend, the first guy I loved, and the first guy to break my heart.

He contacted me a couple weeks ago saying that he and his wife were moving down to Austin.  Small world.  Anyway - it has been years since I last saw him so I figured since we would soon be sharing a city that sharing a drink might be a good idea.  It was a fun afternoon and as I climbed into the car with my family I couldn't help but giggle to myself...... 

If only the 16 year old me could see what love truly looks like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy my madness :)