Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Be Brave

Today's post is in honor of **National Cancer Day**

I recently have had these fears of Grace getting sick.  I don't mean a cold or ear infection (which she does have at the moment) but fears of her getting Leukemia.  No - probably not normal, but since it is my history, logic and reason don't exist.  I've been told its not genetic, I've been told not to worry about such thing, and on a daily basis I'm not plagued with these thoughts.  And even though its been over 25 year since I was diagnosed, Leukemia is a part of me - so how can it not be a part of Grace?

And that's when life slaps me on the back of the head (not very nice but necessary at times) and shines a bright light onto my life....

It was last week when I took Grace to her 1 year appointment.  An exciting opportunity to see how big our girl is getting .  A-not-very-exciting opportunity to hold your baby down while she is getting poked with numerous needles.  I took in all the good news from the doctor that Grace was healthy and growing perfectly.  It wasn't until we drove home and I heard the small whimpers from Grace in the back (still recovering from her shots) that made me want to curl up in a fetal position and cry.  It wasn't because I wanted to comfort her, but it was the words of her doctor resonating in my head.  The realization of how lucky I am to have a healthy growing baby.   I've accepted that I'll always worry about Grace - that's part of being a parent.  But, in honor of today- National Cancer Day, I'm making the conscious decision to forgo my fears and celebrate my history -

Be Brave

1 comment:

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy my madness :)